A community leader who has been influential within her North Stradbroke Island (Minjerribah) community for more than 40 years was named Citizen of the Year at the Redlands Coast Australia Day Awards 2021.
Mayor Karen Williams said Aunty Lyn Shipway was a passionate advocate for her community.
“Aunty Lyn is CEO of North Stradbroke Island Aboriginal and Island Housing Co-operative and was active in establishing Minjerribah Day Respite Centre, Myora Caravan Park and Nareeba Moopi Pa Aged Care,” Cr Williams said.
“She is also chair of both Yulu-Burri-Ba Aboriginal Corporation for Community Health and the Institute of Urban Indigenous Health and was formerly on the board of Minjerribah Moorgumpin Elders in Council.
“She is always humble and approachable and really does epitomise the Redlands Coast community spirit.
“It was a great pleasure to honour her with this year’s Citizen of the Year award.”
Young Citizen of the Year was awarded to Jenali Collier for her work with young people through her YouTube channel “Miss Collier explains”, leading the Livewire Kids Club at Mount Cotton, and as a youth leader with C4 Youth Fellowship.
Senior Citizen of the Year is Graham Hinson who is a Legacy volunteer, a Military Welfare Advocate for the RSL and Community Link Coordinator for Redlands RSL.
Cr Williams said selecting winners across the nine categories of the awards was always a tough challenge as all nominees were deserving of recognition.
“Every nominee is a winner and it has been a privilege and an honour to meet and acknowledge these dedicated and passionate people who give so generously to help make Redlands Coast such a great place to live.
“I thank all nominees and winners and assure them that what they do matters and Redlands Coast is proud of them all for their outstanding contributions to our community.”
The full list of Redlands Coast Australia Day Awards winners are:
- Citizen of the Year Award – Lynette Shipway (Aunty Lyn)
- Young Citizen of the Year Award (30 years and under) – Jenali Collier
- Senior Citizen of the Year Award (60 years and over) – Graham Hinson
- Local Hero Award – Rebecca Young
- Local Hero Award – COVID-19 Response – Steve Zyka
- Community Organisation Award – Special Olympics Redlands
- Cultural Award – Maxwell (Max) Bissett
- Environment and Sustainability Award (joint winners) – Kieron Douglass and Layne Utz
- Sports Award – Lara Walker
- Reconciliation Award – Adam Williams