From discovering nature’s wonders and how to create eco art and Christmas characters to inspiring talks and performances, there will be plenty going on across Redlands Coast during the summer school holidays.
Redland City Mayor Karen Williams said there were activities planned for all ages, and many of them were free.
“Council has organised a sensational selection of activities to keep kids entertained on the school holidays, but many of these are filling fast, so please book or register early,” Cr Williams said.
“In addition to the great school holiday activities, there are also the regular Council facilities, including the IndigiScapes gardens, walking trails and Discovery Centre.”
Here is a selection of what’s on offer:
Redland City Council libraries
- Zombie SPFX workshop – Immerse yourself in the creative and gory world of special effects makeup.
- Felt gnomes – Create a Santa gnome to gift or use as a weighted doorstop or table decoration.
- Star toppers – Use origami to create a 3D folded tree topper to crown a Christmas tree.
- Funky sand art bottles – Create a bottle artwork with colourful, layered sand.
- Christmas craft workshops – Hand paint wooden Christmas ornaments.
Redland Art Gallery
- Superpowered on Tour workshop features activities developed by the QAGOMA Children’s Art Centre in collaboration with four Australian artists – Kaylene Whiskey (Yankunytjatjara people), Tony Albert (Girramay/Yidinyji/Kuku Yalanji peoples), Gordon Hookey (Waanyi people) and Vincent Namatjira (Western Aranda people).
IndigiScapes Environmental Education Centre
- Small Wonders Nature Journal Box – Learn creative ways to collate your own collection of natural objects.
- Ocean Art Workshop – Explore techniques to craft an egg carton turtle and sketch and paint your favourite marine life.
- Native Flower Press Design – Decorate a recycled cardboard flower press with cuttings from the garden.
- Light and Colour Science Show – Explore how sunlight plays a role in our natural environment.
- Eco Claymation – Using software, make an eco-animation focused on the health of our waterways and sustainability within the catchment, then watch as it all comes to life on the big screen.
- Vision Board Eco Art Workshop – Explore a range of salvaged materials to bring a vision board to life.
- Eco Drama – Celebrate our environment and play drama games with a sustainability focus with the Bazil Grumble team.
- Upcycled Tin Can Planters – Upcycle a tin can using decoupage techniques to make a planter.
Redland Performing Arts Centre
- Flipside Circus school holiday workshops – Learn circus skills such as tackling the trapeze or harnessing the hula-hoop.
For bookings and more information, go to redland.qld.gov.au and search “school holiday activities” or “what’s on at your library”.
For gallery activities go to artgallery.redland.qld.gov.au and for RPAC activities go to rpac.com.au