Redland City Council has provided funding to help seven organisations hold free community-based events during Queensland Seniors Month in October.
Mayor Karen Williams said this was the second year Council had provided a dedicated Seniors Month Grants program.
“We are very happy with the calibre of applications for this year’s grants, with $14,000 allocated to help groups planning events on both the mainland and the islands,” Cr Williams said.
“Our seniors will be spoiled for choice during October, with sponsored activities ranging from a high tea and tennis games to information sessions, expos and a health and wellbeing festival.
“So many wonderful seniors from wonderfully diverse backgrounds call Redlands Coast home and Seniors Month is a fantastic opportunity for them to develop more social connections and to live active, fulfilling lives.
“This vision is articulated in Council’s Redlands Coast Age-friendly Action Plan 2021-2026 and is supported through our Seniors Month Grants program.”
The following organisations will use their grants to facilitate free community-based events and activities on Redlands Coast during Seniors Month:
- Redland District Committee on the Ageing will host a one-stop community expo for seniors.
- Bay Islands Community Services will video older residents telling their stories and host a morning tea for the community to listen.
- Bay Islands Multi-Sport and Recreation Association will provide a seniors high tea event to be held with the Seaview Markets.
- Belgravia Foundation will deliver a Seniors Health and Wellbeing Festival at Cleveland Aquatic Centre.
- Redlands Coast Dementia Community, auspiced by Donald Simpson Community Centre, will host an expo to promote some of the innovations available to support people living with dementia and their carers.
- STAR Community Services will run an information session to assist older adults in choosing and accessing their aged care service options with confidence.
- Redland Bay Tennis Club will facilitate open court sessions in October to encourage people to try social tennis.
For further details on the events, please contact the individual community groups or check out Council’s What’s On calendar.