Looking for something different to do with family and friends on the Queen’s Birthday long weekend? Redlands Coast has you covered.
Redland City Mayor Karen Williams said residents and visitors were spoilt for choice this weekend (2-4 October 2021), which also marks the end of the school holidays.
“Redlands Coast has a wide range of naturally wonderful experiences on offer, from amazing parks and play spaces to fabulous beaches and conservation areas,” Cr Williams said.
“Our islands are always a great choice for day trips or weekend getaways, with opportunities to spot whales, dolphins, turtles, koalas and kangaroos, relax on beautiful beaches, browse boutique goods at markets, or pick up some unique art.
“There are also plenty of things to do on the mainland and I encourage everyone to support our local tourism operators and book an experience on Redlands Coast this long weekend.
“The weather forecast for Saturday through to Monday is for warm sunny days so I encourage everyone to make the most of it.
“An outing can be as simple as a picnic or barbecue in one of our many open spaces or parks.”
15 things to do this long weekend:
- Walk on water (at low tide only) from Wellington Point Recreation Reserve to King Island.
- Take a day trip to North Stradbroke Island (Minjerribah) and explore the studios, art galleries and museum in Dunwich. You can also hire a scooter or take a guided cultural tour along the Gorge Walk at Point Lookout.
- Check out the Tiny Homes Expo at Cleveland on Saturday and Sunday (ticketed event, tickets available online).
- Head down to Raby Bay Foreshore Park and hire a water bike or paddle across the bay and spot for dolphins and dugong along the way. You can also swim, kayak and stand up paddleboard on the foreshore.
- Visit Macleay Island and check out (or buy) some art or enjoy a relaxing game of barefoot bowls with a stunning waterfront view across the coast.
- Go bushwalking, mountain biking or horse riding in the Eastern Escarpment Conservation Area.
- Go sailing with one of the local yacht charter operators or take your own boat across Moreton Bay to Peel Island.
- Browse the fresh produce, arts and crafts, gifts, food and entertainment at the Cleveland Markets on Sunday from 7am-1pm.
- Picnic on the hill at Sirromet Wines – Queensland’s largest winery.
- Unleash your creativity and paint your own pottery piece at one of our local creative art studios in Cleveland.
- Hike the network of trails in the Don and Christine Burnett Conservation Area in Sheldon.
- Take a 10 minute ferry ride from Victoria Point to Coochiemudlo Island and step onto the sandy beach with a playground and beachfront café.
- Visit Cleveland Point Reserve and picnic under the historic Cleveland Point lighthouse, and see it light up at night.
- Explore the nature tracks and botanic gardens at IndigiScapes Environmental Centre in Capalaba and follow it up with some bush flavours from the café.
- Visit one of the many vibrant outdoor spaces and playgrounds including Apex Park in Wellington Point, Thornlands Community Park, and Raby Esplanade Park in Cleveland.
For more information or other ideas on things to see and do, go to visitredlandscoast.com.au or pop into the Redlands Coast Visitor Information Centre located at Raby Bay Harbour, Cleveland which is open every day from 9am-4pm; phone 1300 667 386.
Council closures on Monday 4 October 2021 public holiday:
- Council offices, customer service centres and libraries
Redland City council offices, customer service centres and libraries will be closed on Monday 4 October, returning to regular operating hours on Tuesday 5 October.
After hours return chutes at libraries will be closed on Monday, and no items will be due on that day.
- Redland IndigiScapes Centre & Nursery
Redland IndigiScapes Centre, Café, and Botanic Gardens will be open on Monday 4 October from 8am-4pm.
The nursery will be closed on Monday.
- Bin collections
Bin collections will go ahead as normal, so bins need to be placed on the footpath by 6am on Monday 4 October.
Please report any missed services on 3829 8999.
- Recycling and waste centres
All mainland and island recycling and waste centres will be open. Residents should check Council’s website for opening hours.
- RecycleWorld Redland Bay
RecycleWorld Redland Bay does not open on Monday. Opening hours are 10am-2pm on Tuesday and Friday.
- Redland Animal Shelter
The Redland Animal Shelter will be open from 9am-noon on Monday 4 October.
For animal emergencies outside those hours, please phone 3829 8999.
- Redland Performing Arts Centre
The RPAC box office is closed on Monday 4 October, reopening at 9am on Tuesday 5 October.
During this time bookings can be made online via rpac.com.au
- Redland Art Gallery
The galleries at Cleveland and Capalaba will both be closed on Monday 4 October, reopening at 9am on Tuesday 5 October.
- Out of hours emergencies
For council-related emergencies, please phone 3829 8999.