Residents are encouraged to join a unique world record attempt next month as Rotary Club of Cleveland, in association with Relay For Life, vie for the title of the longest line of gold coins on Saturday 16 April at Cleveland Showgrounds.
The second Ribbon of Gold coin challenge will raise funds for charity and add further distance to the 43 metres of coins donated last year, with the ultimate goal of breaking the record of just over 75km set by a school in Austria in 2011.
The gold coin challenge is just one of the many cultural, sporting and environmental events scheduled in the city during April. Highlights include:
- Help plant 1000 koala food and habitat trees at Egret Colony Wetland, Victoria Point, during the Koala Community Planting on Sunday 3 April, hosted by Redland City Council Bushcare.
- Celebrate Connect to Your Creek Week and enjoy our local waterways while trying stand up paddle boarding, dragon boating and more at the Raby Bay Foreshore on Saturday 9 April.
- For the seafaring sports enthusiasts, sign up for the 8th Macleay Island Classic on Sunday 10 April, a 15km canoe race across the spectacular waters of Moreton Bay surrounding the island, hosted by Tingira Boat Club.
- Learn how to grow your own organic produce, find out more about native gardening and tips for recycling your green waste at the Redland Good Gardening Expo on Saturday 16 April at Indigiscapes.
- Redlands Wildlife Rescue is recruiting volunteers to help operate its afterhours wildlife ambulance, which provides emergency rescue and transport for sick, injured and orphaned native animals, with an induction to be held on Saturday 23 April.
- On Monday 25 April, Redlands RSL Cleveland will host an Anzac Day dawn service at Kinsail Court Memorial Park from 5.20am, followed by the main parade and service from 10.30am in remembrance of those who have fought and died for our nation.
- The three-day Capalaba Rotary Bookfest will open on Friday 29 April, with funds raised from the huge book sale benefitting youth and literacy projects in the Redlands.
- Saddle up as some of the country’s top cowboys do battle with toughest bulls in the land while Australian freestyle motocross champions turn themselves upside down above the bull ring during Bikes and Bulls’ new show on Friday 29 April at Cleveland Showgrounds.
- Don’t miss the spectacular display of flowering orchids at the Redlands Orchid Society Autumn Charity Show on Saturday 30 April, with potting demonstrations and plants for sale during the event.
- From toddlers to teens, Redland Libraries has a fantastic line-up of free activities throughout the school holidays, including robot building, superhero dress-up, story time and an Aussie bush show.
The Redlands boasts a growing calendar of events each month, which are part of Council’s goal of fostering an active and vibrant local community while developing the city as a location of choice for events, which bring economic and cultural benefits to the region.
Visit our What’s On calendar to learn more about these events or post your own event.
Leave a Reply