ANZAC Centenary Memorial officially unveiled


In Redlands this year the sun will rise on Anzac Day over a special new memorial to mark 100 years since the Gallipoli landing.

Federal MP Andrew Laming said the highly anticipated new Anzac Centenary Memorial at Kinsail Court Park was completed this week and officially unveiled at a ceremony on Friday morning.

Mr Laming said the memorial, once just an idea, had been realised following the hard work and joint effort of the community and federal and local governments.

ANZAC2

He said a $60,000 Federal Government grant and a $50,000 grant from Redland City Council had covered the majority of the costs to construct the memorial.

Mr Laming said the Anzac Centenary Memorial not only offered the community a beautiful place to pay their respects to fallen soldiers, but also a piece of history preserved for generations to come.

“With plenty of parkland surrounding the central statue there is ample space for the thousands of Redlanders who turn out every year for Anzac Day services,” Mr Laming said.

“A wall along the side of the hill is marked with every major battle that Australia has been in from the Boer War to Afghanistan, which is an important reminder for us of the service of our soldiers and a way to commemorate the ultimate sacrifice they made for our country.”

ANZAC3

Redland City Mayor Karen Williams convened a round table with local community groups, a meeting she said showed the tremendous support that existed for the commemoration of the Anzac landing at Gallipoli and the memorial and other projects.

“The Federal Government ANZAC Centenary Grant provided the opportunity for the Redlands community to have a permanent and poignant reminder of the personal sacrifices and service by so many Australians in the name of this nation over the past 100 years,” Cr Williams said.

“The community immediately embraced the memorial concept and worked together to bring it to fruition. Today we have a new memorial and a reminder of those who helped build our nation.

“I would like to congratulate everyone involved in the project, in particular Council’s Public Places team led by Meg Warnock who worked with the RSL to come up with a balanced design that won the support of the community.”

ANZAC4

Redlands RSL president Alan Harcourt said he was proud and pleased to see the memorial unveiled.

“It’s been 18 months in the making,” Mr Harcourt said.

“We’re calling it the Anzac Centenary Memorial, for all those who haven’t returned over the 100 years since the Gallipoli landing.

“The RSL and the National Servicemen’s Association have really done this for the people of Redlands.

“It wouldn’t have been possible without the grants from Redland City Council and from the Federal Government.”

ANZAC