TROPICAL LOW EXPECTED TOMORROW
A tropical low is expected to hit the Redlands late tomorrow morning, bringing the possibility of strong winds and heavy rainfall, combined with abnormally high tides. Residents living on the foreshore should prepare for higher than usual tides, while all residents should stay away from foreshores.
SANDBAGS AVAILABLE AT SHOWGROUNDS
A self-service sandbagging station is set up at the Redland Showground (Norm Price Park), Long Street, Cleveland for residents to collect bags and fill them themselves.
Only residents with limited mobility who are unable to fill their own bags should call the SES on 132 500 for assistance.
VIDEO UPDATE FROM MAYOR KAREN WILLIAMS:
The following high tides are expected around the Redlands:
Point Lookout – 9:37pm Friday, 9:59am Saturday, 10:23pm Saturday
Dunwich – Friday 11:08pm, 11:30am Saturday, 11:54pm Saturday
Cleveland Point – Friday 11:10pm, Saturday 11:32am, Saturday 11:56pm
Wellington Point – Friday 10:51pm, Saturday 11:13am, Saturday 11:37pm
Victoria Point – Friday 11:11pm, Saturday 11:33am, Saturday 11:57pm
Redland Bay – Friday 11:27pm, Saturday 11:49am, Sunday 12:32am
6.35pm Media Update
5.05pm Brewer Street Capalaba flood alert
Residents of Brewer Street, Capalaba are being advised that they may experience flooding overnight and tomorrow due to the higher than usual incoming tides into Tingalpa Creek around 11pm tonight and 11am tomorrow. SES volunteers will doorknock residents.
5:00pm – Beckwith St Creek – Ormiston
— Thomas van Cal Verte (@TommiVanCV) February 20, 2015
4:42pm Video of Collingwood Road – Birkdale
Sent via FB by Cristina around 2pm this afternoon.
It’s not over: worst is yet to come! Tropical low currently expected to hit Redlands late Saturday morning with possibility of strong winds, heavy rainfall and tidal surge. Keep watching this news site and our social media for updates.
4:07pm Mt Cotton Rd – Mt Cotton
3:47pm Media Update
Ferry and barge services North Stradbroke Island
- Stradbroke Ferries last vehicle ferry service will depart Cleveland at 4.00pm and return from Dunwich at 5.00pm. The 4:00pm service from Dunwich to Cleveland has been cancelled.
- The last Stradbroke Ferries water taxi service from Cleveland today will leave at 5.25pm and 5.55pm from Dunwich.
- The last Gold Cats passenger ferry services will leave from Cleveland today at 5:25pm and 5.55pm from Dunwich.
Southern Moreton Bay Islands
- The last Stradbroke Ferries vehicle ferry service to the Southern Moreton Bay Islands will be leaving Redland Bay at 4.45pm.
- The passenger ferry is running to timetable but it will pay to check for updates with the operator.
- People can sign up to SMS alerts for the passenger ferries to the Southern Moreton Bay Islands on 3206 8033.
- The Coochiemudlo Island vehicle and passenger ferries are running to timetable.
Respite centres If people do find themselves stranded on the mainland, respite centres have been opened at Redland Performing Arts Centre, 2 Middle Street, Cleveland, and at the Redland Bay Hall, 5 Weinam Street, Redland Bay. These centres are for temporary shelter for visitors to make arrangements for accommodation with family or friends if required. A number of island evacuation centres are on standby but at this point no evacuations have been required. Road closures Mount Cotton Road northbound (outside of Sirromet), Mount Cotton, Rickertt Road at the Brisbane end, Mt-Gravatt- Capalaba Road behind the dam, Island Street at Cleveland at the Ross Creek crossing and Torquay Street, Redland Bay and Collingwood Road, Birkdale. Water over the road South Street Cleveland, Pitt Street Wellington Point, Sturgeon Street Ormiston and Tulloch Drive, Wellington Point. Waste collection services Catch up waste collection services have been scheduled for Monday 23 February 2015 for Macleay, Lamb and Karragarra Islands. Residents are requested to secure wheelie bins inside their properties and place out on the kerb no later than 6am on Monday ready for collection. All other mainland and Island waste collection services are unaffected and will occur on normal scheduled days. All Council waste transfer stations are operating as normal. For all the latest news and updates, follow the Redland City Council website as well as on Facebook and Twitter.
3.22pm Video update from
#RedlandCity Disaster Manager Mike Lollback
3:01pm Allan Day Dr – Wellington Point
2:45pm Ferries update (new information)
2.35pm Ferries update
The passenger ferry to the Southern Moreton Bay Islands will run to its usual timetable. The last vehicle barge to these islands will depart Redland Bay at 4.45pm. The last Stradbroke Flyer passenger ferry (Gold Cats) will depart Cleveland at 5.25pm and return from Dunwich at 5.55pm. Both the Coochie vehicle barge and passenger ferry are running to usual timetable.
2:30pm – St Luke’s School – Capalaba
2:25pm Photos of Cleveland Point & GJ Walter Park – Cleveland
2pm Ferry updates
North Stradbroke Island Services: Stradbroke Ferries last vehicle ferry service from Cleveland today will depart at 4.00pm and from Dunwich at 5.00pm. The last Stradbroke Ferries water taxi service from Cleveland will depart at 5.25pm and 5.55pm from Dunwich Southern Moreton Bay Island Services: The last Stradbroke Ferries vehicle ferry service to the Southern Moreton Bay Islands will depart Redland Bay at 4.45pm.
1:13pm Photo of Moores Rd – Redland Bay
1.05pm Severe weather update
* As Tropical Cyclone Marcia moves south, residents are encouraged to stay home, travel only if necessary, stay off the road and away from the water’s edge. * Residents in waterfront locations should prepare their homes. * Sandbags: 13.5 tonnes of sand is arriving at Cleveland Showgrounds at 1.30pm today. * North Stradbroke and Southern Moreton Bay Island residents should only travel if absolutely necessary. * If you travel by ferry, be prepared for the eventuality that you may not get back. * Both the passenger ferries and vehicle barge to North Stradbroke Island have resumed service, passengers should check with the operators for any further changes throughout the day. * Passenger ferry to the Southern Moreton Bay Islands is operating, however there are limited vehicle services to the Southern Moreton Bay Islands. This is an evolving situation which could change quickly so check with operators. * RECEPTION CENTRES: if you are stranded on the mainland, reception centres are now open at Redland Performing Arts Centre (2 Middle Street, Cleveland) and at the Redland Bay Hall (5 Weinam Street, Redland Bay). They are open to all residents in need of respite due to the severe weather. Island evacuation centres are on standby if needed. * ROAD CLOSURES: Rickertt Road at the Brisbane end, Mt-Gravatt- Capalaba Road behind the dam, Island Street at Cleveland at the Ross Creek crossing and Torquay Street, Redland Bay. * WATER OVER THE ROAD: South Street Cleveland, Pitt Street Wellington Point, Sturgeon Street Ormiston and Tulloch Drive, Wellington Point. * 131940 reports a hazard signal fault at Finucane Road Capalaba at Old Cleveland Road. Drive carefully and to conditions. Follow directions of the emergency services. * Check the Energex website for the latest power outage information. * We have closed our sports fields and reserve tracks until further notice.
12:49pm Photo of The Blvd – Redland Bay
12.25 Redlands severe weather update
New media release: Redlands severe weather update
11.57am 15 tonnes of sand on the way
We have 15 tonnes of sand on the way from the Gold Coast, estimated time of arrival at Cleveland Showgrounds is 1.30pm today.
11.38am No sand at Cleveland Showgrounds at the moment
We have run out of sand at Cleveland Showgrounds but we are sourcing more now, stay tuned.
11.30am Sports field closures
Read about Redland City sports field closures
11:08am Photos of Mary Pleasant Drive – Birkdale
10.18am CYCLONE MARCIA (Redlands) update
– SES advises that Rickertt Road (Brisbane side of the bridge) has closed due to flooding.
– Mount Gravatt-Capalaba Road (behind Lesley Harrison Dam) is closed due to flooding. The dam is spilling.
– Allan Day Drive, Wellington Point
– Avalon Road, Sheldon (Bridge)
– Pitt Road, Wellington Point
WATER IS OVER THE ROAD:
– Bibury & Noel St intersection, Wellington Point
– Queens Court Road, Alexandra Hills
– South St, Cleveland (near Special School)
– Sturgeon St – pedestrian Bridge
– Sturgeon St – dog off leash carpark
– Tulloch & Redgrove Intersection, Wellington Point
If you absolutely must leave the house, please drive carefully and to conditions. Remember, if it’s flooded, forget it!
The sandbagging station set up at the Redland Showground (Norm Price Park), Long Street, Cleveland is still operational for residents wishing to collect sandbags.
Please only call the SES for sandbagging assistance on 132 500 if you have mobility issues.
FERRY SERVICE UPDATES
– Gold Cat passenger ferry advises that it plans to run passenger ferries from Cleveland until 5:25pm today.
– The 10am Stradbroke Ferries Vehicle Ferry is operating from Cleveland to Dunwich – returning at 11am.
– The Stradbroke Ferries Water taxi departed Cleveland at 9.55am and return at 10.25am from Dunwich.
– The passenger ferry to the Southern Moreton Bay Islands is still running.
– The vehicle barge to the Southern Moreton Bay Islands has been suspended.
– Passengers are being advised that ferry services could be suspended at any time so please check for updates.
COUNCIL RESERVE TRACK CLOSURES
All council reserve tracks are closed for use until further notice. We will also be erecting signs at specific locations regularly used by mountain bikes and other users as follows:
* D&C Burnett Conservation Area– at Entry (Ford Rd)
* Ford Rd – at Entry(Ford Rd)
* Bayview (Days Rd Conservation Area) -Days Rd, German Church Rd, Native Dog Ck & Kidd St entrances
* Redlands Track Park- Flinders St, Weippen St, McDonald Rd, Teasdale Rd and Coburg St West entrances
* Eastern Escarpment – Main Entry adjacent to Quarry
9.52am Stradbroke Ferries updates
Next vehicle ferries departing are: 10am from Cleveland and 11am from Dunwich. The next water taxis departing are: 9.55am from Cleveland and 10.25am from Dunwich. Updates will be posted here as we receive them.
Reports that Torquay Street on Serpentine Creek at Redland Bay is flooding.
9.30am Road closures
SES advises that Rickett Road (Brisbane side of the bridge) has closed due to flooding.
Mt Gravatt-Capalaba Road (behind Leslie Harrison Dam) is closed due to flooding. The dam is spilling.
The sandbag station at Cleveland Showgrounds (Long Street) is still operational. If you can’t fill your own sandbags, please call SES for assistance on 132 500.
9.25am Ferries update
Gold Cats passenger ferry to Straddie has advised it plans to run its services up to and including its 5.25pm trip from Cleveland to One Mile at Dunwich. Stradbroke Ferries’ vehicle and passenger barge has been suspended.
9am: Respite centres opened in Cleveland and Redland Bay for stranded passengers
We have opened RPAC (2 Middle St Cleveland) and Redland Bay Hall (5 Weinamn St Redland Bay) as respite centres for those who are stranded due to ferry service interruptions.
8.30am Media release
7.45am Cyclone Marcia (Redlands) update
- Vehicle barge and Stradbroke Ferries passenger ferry to Straddie suspended.
- Gold Cats passenger ferry still running at present.
- Vehicle barge to Southern Moreton Bay Islands (SMBI) is suspended.
- Passenger ferry to SMBIs still running but passengers being advised could be suspended at any time.
- Roads are flooding, signs are out on site to avert drivers. Don’t walk or drive through flood waters: if it’s flooded forget it! Roads that are currently flooding include: Tulloch Drive, Redgrove Road, Pitt Road, Sturgeon Street (overflow car park and walkway).
- Powerlines down at Macleay Island. If you see a fallen powerline, stay well away, warn others of the danger and report it to Energex immediately by calling 13 19 62.
- Tree down in Sherrin St, Cleveland and Boundary Road, Thornlands.
- Leslie Harrison Dam spilled over this morning. Local businesses and residents were notified several days ago that this would happen.
- Please stay away from the water’s edge due to expected tidal surges.
- Sand bag station is still operating at Showgrounds or call 132 500.
- Ormiston College has advised that parents consider the option of keeping students home, although it remains open.
- For other school closure information, check with your school directly or view the list of school closures from Department of Education, Training and Employment
- Keep up-to-date with Bureau of Meteorology weather warnings:http://redlnd.cc/1asdB6O and stay tuned to 612 ABC Brisbane
- Follow live updates on our news site: https://news.redland.qld.gov.au/ and follow our Twitter and Facebook.
- For life-threatening emergencies call 000.
- For flood and storm emergency situations call the SES on 132 500.
7.30am Good morning Redland City
Good morning Redland City, staff are filling up our Local Disaster Coordination Centre here in Cleveland in readiness for Cyclone Marcia. We’ll be bringing you live updates on this news site throughout the weekend.