Local parks and sporting fields will receive nearly $6 million in upgrades as part of Redland City Council’s 2014-15 Budget.
Redland City Mayor Karen Williams said Council’s $259 million Budget included a $1.27 million lighting upgrade for local sports fields.
“Redland City is known for its active and healthy lifestyle and upgrading lighting at local sporting fields will help support this way of life,” she said.
“This year’s Budget also includes more than $733,000 for stage three of the Point Lookout Gorge Boardwalk, which will enhance Straddie’s existing reputation as a tourism hotspot.
“A total of $300,000 is also included to upgrade the popular WH Yeo Park at Victoria Point, with new play equipment designed specifically for toddlers, along with upgraded picnic facilities and a space for weddings to be held.
“Bloomfield Street Park in Cleveland will also receive an upgrade with new play equipment and seating. Located in the Cleveland city centre, this park will not only provide a place for local families to play, but it will also attract people to the CBD, supporting local businesses.
“Playground equipment will be upgraded at Wellington Point reserve and a wetlands viewing area will be constructed at Wellington Point Village.”
Cr Williams said the Southern Moreton Bay Islands would benefit from the Budget, with more than $1 million in park and open space upgrades, including stage two of the Russell Island sport and resilience hub.
“Stage one of the project included sporting fields and multi-purpose courts and was opened last year,” she said.
“This year’s Budget commits the funds for stage two, which will include a community centre that provides a clubhouse for local sports and community organisations as well as functioning as a disaster resilience and training centre.
“This will be a place to build the capacity and capability of the whole Southern Moreton Bay Islands community.”
Local parks and sports fields to receive funding as part of the 2014-15 Budget include:
• Coochiemudlo Island Foreshore $430,000
• Bloomfield Street Park (Cleveland) $300,000
• WH Yeo Park (Victoria Point) $300,000
• Wellington Point tennis court and Wellington Point Reserve Playground $120,000.
• Wellington Point Village wetlands viewing area $200,000
• William Taylor Memorial Sportsground (Thorneside) $110,000
• Russell Island Parks: High St Park, Pioneer Children’s and Lions Boulevard $97,000
• Henry Ziegenfusz (Cleveland) sports field (drainage) $312,000
• Charlie Buckler Sports Field (Redland Bay) lighting $275,000
• Point Lookout Gorge Boardwalk Stage three and platform $733,000
• Cleveland Aquatic Centre $80,000