Redland City Council has committed nearly $6 million over the next two years for projects on the Southern Moreton Bay Islands as part of its 2014-15 Budget.
Redland City Mayor Karen Williams said this year’s Budget included important community infrastructure for the Southern Moreton Bay Islands, including $1million for road upgrades, taking the total spend on SMBI roads to $3 million for the past two years.
“The Budget also includes nearly $1 million for a community sports and resilience centre on Russell Island to complement the sporting fields and multi-purpose courts that opened last year,” she said.
“Key commitments included in this year’s Budget will provide an ongoing positive legacy for the SMBI community, such as upgrading the intersection of Minjerriba and Centre roads (Russell Island) including road widening,” she said.
“Funding is also allocated for the start of the Macleay Island foreshore project, which will be constructed over two years and include a new recreational boat-ramp and car parking facilities.
“The community has been calling for this project for years, so residents will be very pleased to see it included in the Budget.
“Nearly $100,000 has also been included for local parks with upgrades planned for Lions Boulevard Park (Russell Island), High Street Park (Russell Island) and Pioneer Children’s Memorial Park (Russell Island).”
Southern Moreton Bay Island projects funded in the Budget include:
- Upgrade Lamb Island car parking, including resurface and access.
- Macleay Island road resurfacing: Western Road, South Sea Terrace, Thomas, Oomool, Lonicera, Kate, Jan and Baracoota streets.
- Russell Island road resurfacing: Bay Drive, Channel, Guthrie and Patterson streets.
- Lamb Island road resurfacing: Lucas Drive.
- Minjerriba Rd, Russell Island – Intersection improvement at the Centre Road intersection including road widening and concrete islands.
- High St Path, Russell Island – Complete missing link in pedestrian network between ferry terminal and shopping centre.
- Russell Island Park works: High Street, Pioneer Children’s and Lions Boulevard.
- Upgrade Macleay Island boat ramp.
- Russell Terrace Macleay Island sea wall and asbestos capping.