With Youth Week 2013 just around the corner, Redland City Council is encouraging young people to take advantage of the free activities on offer.
National Youth Week, from 5-14 April, is Australia’s largest celebration of young people and Redlands has a full calendar of events.
Redland City Mayor Karen Williams said Youth Week was an opportunity for young people to get involved in the community, express their ideas and make new connections.
“Youth Week’s 2013 theme is to ‘be active, be healthy, be you’ and we have a host of activities that reflect the diverse talents and interests of Redlands’ young people,” Cr Williams said.
“From art exhibitions with live music to outdoor events, our goal is to promote opportunities for young people to express who they are and have fun being themselves.
“We are proud to have a full calendar of events in Redland City, presented in partnership with the Redland Youth Network – a team of community organisations all helping the Redlands to be a wonderful place to grow up.”
Free events schedule
- 3 April: Q-Crew Hip Hop Dance Extravaganza, dance workshop 1.30pm -3.30pm, family performance 5.30pm – 6pm, Dunwich Hall, North Stradbroke Island. For information: 3415 2816.
- 4 April: Youth Week Fun Day @ The Hut, 11am-3pm, The Hut Youth Space, Jackson Road, Russell Island. For information: 3409 1177.
- 5 April: Quandamooka Youth Leadership Program, 10-11.30am for 9-12 years, 1.30-3.30pm for 13-17 years, 7 Stradbroke Place, Dunwich. For information: 3415 2816.
- 8 April: Skateboarding Workshop, 10am – 1pm, Mt Cotton Skate Park, Valley Way Mount Cotton. Bookings required ph: 3829 8233.
- 9 April: Skateboarding Workshop, 10am – 1pm, Thornlands Skate Park, William Stewart Park, Cleveland Redland Bay Road. Bookings required ph: 3829 8233.
- 9-12 April: The Happy Active You, various activities and times, The Cage Youth Space, Dollery Road, Capalaba. For information: 3823 2224.
- 11 April: Youth: In Transit Exhibition Youth Drop, 6pm (exhibition 8 April- 5 June), Redland Art Gallery Capalaba, Capalaba Place, Capalaba (in the library building). For information: 3829 8899.
- 10 April: Beading Workshops, 10-11.30am, Macleay Island Community Hall, 2-3.30pm, Russell Island Hut Youth Space, Jackson Road Russell Island. For information: 3488 2533.
- 12 April: Skateboarding workshop, 10am – 1pm, William Taylor Memorial Sports Fields, Mooroondu Rd, Thorneside. Bookings required ph: 3829 8233.
- 12 April: The Big Youth Week Beach Party, 10am – 2pm, Raby Bay Foreshore, Masthead Drive, Raby Bay. For information: 3829 8233.
- 27 April: Youthlink Annual Skate Event, Youthlink, 11am – 4pm, Point Lookout Skate Park, East Coast Road, Point Lookout. For information: 0418 301 000
For full details contact Council’s Community Development Team on 3829 8233, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.facebook.com/RedlandsYouth.
Unless otherwise stated, all activities are free and open to all young people aged 12 to 25 years.
All events and activities are drug and alcohol free and are proudly supported by Redland City Council and the Redlands Youth Network.