Redland City Council will transition out of school-age care to allow specialist providers to deliver the service flexibly and more efficiently.
There will be no disruption to services at the 19 schools that currently have council-operated school-age care.
Redland City Mayor Karen Williams said Council was moving out of school-age care provision as the market was now able to support itself, with many excellent organisations able to offer the service more efficiently than Council.
“Most school-age care services around the state are provided by community-based not-for-profit organisations, not local councils,” Cr Williams said.
“Our own reviews over the years have shown that Council should move out of school-age care once the market matures and there are a sufficient number of providers who can deliver these services.
“That time has well and truly come. There are many organisations, including those that run programs across Queensland and Australia that are able to deliver a more efficient service, as well as provide more opportunities and flexibility for staff.
“Some of these already operate out of school-age care services in the Redlands.
“With Council approvals to deliver the services in state schools now expiring – and a more competitive tender process required by Education Queensland – Council has made the decision to leave this to others in the market.”
Cr Williams said Council would also be working with Catholic and independent school principals to ensure service continuity by another provider.
“Council plans to transition out of school age care in a staged approach over the upcoming Christmas holiday period,” she said.
“We will continue to run our service until new providers take over in the schools.They are all likely to be in place by the first day of school next year.”
Council currently operates school-age care at:
- Alexandra Hills State School Ormiston College
- Redland Bay State School Ormiston State School
- Birkdale State School St Anthony’s, Alexandra Hills
- Birkdale South State School St Luke’s, Capalaba
- Capalaba State School St Rita’s, Victoria Point
- Cleveland State School Thornlands State School
- Coolnwynpin State School Victoria Point State School
- Hilliard State School Vienna Woods State School
- Mary Mackillop, Birkdale Wellington Point State School
- Mount Cotton State School