Items for the exhibition were selected by co-curators Tricia Dobson and Maria Cleary through public calls for expressions of interest as well as direct approaches to specific makers.
As the richness, diversity and volume of material that might be included in the exhibition became evident, Tricia and Maria gave preference to items that:
- exemplified quality craftsmanship and integrity
- made use of ordinary (or extraordinary!) materials to create an object for ordinary use
- generated or embodied local stories
- reflected and celebrated the ingenuity often inspired by island living, and
- used natural resources or locally available materials and embraced reuse and recycle practices.
Island Made also captures stories of the makers and their motivations which form a significant part of the exhibition.
RSVP to the Island Made exhibition opening at 6.30pm Friday 30 June at Redland Art Gallery, Cleveland. There’s also an exhibition floor talk and morning tea at 10.30am Sunday 2 July. Exhibition continues until Sunday 13 August 2017.