Queensland Fire and Emergency Services (QFES) is advising:
As at 3.15pm, two vegetation fires are burning in the vincity of Glendale Road, Centre Road, Cunningham Avenue and Stradbroke Drive, Russell Island. Seventeen fire crews are working with aerial support to monitor and extinguish the blazes which broke out earlier today. There is no threat to property at this time.
Smoke is affecting the area. Residents are advised to close windows and doors, and keep medications close by if suffering from a respiratory condition. Motorists should drive with caution and to conditions.
Residents should consider taking precautionary measures including:
- Putting on protective clothing;
- Drinking lots of water;
- Moving car/s to a safe location;
- Closing windows and doors and shutting blinds;
- Bringing pets inside, restraining them (leash, cage or secure room) and providing water;
- Wetting down fine fuels close to buildings;
- Removing garden furniture, doormats and other items;
- Sealing all gaps under doors and screens;
- Filling containers with water – eg bath, sinks, buckets, wheelie bins;
- Having ladders ready for roof space access (inside) and against roof (outside);
- Having a generator or petrol powered pump ready; and
- Checking and patrolling outside for embers, extinguishing any spot fires and seeking shelter as the fire front arrives.
Residents are advised to call Triple Zero (000) if they believe their property comes under threat.
Regular updated information will be provided on the Rural Fire Service Queensland (RFS) website at https://www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au or listen to local radio.
For information on current bushfire incidents visit the Rural Fire Service.
Background: there are three levels of bushfire warning –
- Advice: Monitor conditions and review your bushfire survival plan.
- Watch and Act: Conditions are changing. Start taking action and follow your bushfire survival plan.
- Emergency Warning: You are in danger. Act on your bushfire survival plan
For updates you can also visit: